Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Showers in the Outfield.

I've been having these thoughts lately, well, when I am in the shower. Majority of people have these thoughts before they go to sleep, or contemplate while they are working out. Well, since when I crawl into bed I either fall flat on my face and pass out, or cuddle up with my boyfriend and pass out. No time for contemplation there, and I don't work out. I'm not even going to say "rarely" or "sometimes." I just plain ole' do not work out. Unless you call riding my bike and getting hit by cars working out, then I guess I would have to change my status to "sometimes."
Back to shower talk. So, I contemplate my life coming, life past, fantasy worlds, crazy spiders, you name it, I "dream" it. I also have this routine where I listen to the same cassette tape every time I enter the wash room to linger in hot water for long periods of time. "The Outfield - Play Deep" blasts on my little portable 'Playskool' tape player painted pink with a giant character etched on the front. Usually, I turn on the shower (I know it's not 'green' to turn on the shower before you even get in the tub, but then again, who likes cold water blasting on them right from the start?), press play on the tape player, then take off my clothes and hop on in. The reflection period starts here.
Okay, I acknowledge that I did not go into detail about the outfield tape, here is a little background. My friend Michelle goes to college in Bowling Green, Ohio. There is a crazy dance 80's party every Monday at Uptown. I would go visit her sometimes and we would go get our groove on (wrong era). The Outfield song "Your Love" would always play, and we would always sing. What started as harmless dancing, turned quickly into cult status among my friends and I. Every mix tape had that song, every night when we would close at the Exchange I would sing that song, I started posting the video to my friends myspaces, etc... So, Zachary's 24th birthday rolls around, and our friend Deanna finds an Outfield tape at the Unique thrift store in Cleveland, gives it to him for his birthday, I put it in out tape player, and there it is. How the Outfield tape came to play.
Besides, being able to sing all the lyrics, there came a time when Zachary would listen to the tape when he showered. He would start where I left off, and I would pick up where he left off. This became tricky when my showers would get longer (rinse, shampoo, rinse, conditioner, body wash, shave arm pits, rinse, wash conditioner out, rinse, shave my legs, rinse) I would go through the tape longer, sometimes, having to flip it over. Zachary would shower and go through the rest of the tape I would start my shower where I began in the first place. Meaning, I would hear the same damn songs over and over. We are past that now, I am pretty sure he doesn't listen to the Outfield when I am not at home, or that is what the tape tells me when I turn it on and it is where I left off.
I have no idea why I still have not changed that tape. I guess the Outfield helps my reflection period in the shower, or I can not really take a shower unless I am humming "Josie's on a vacation far away....."

No comments:

Post a Comment